Retinol and Azelaic Acid are two skincare superheroes with the identical job descriptions: they allow you to combat zits and fade away hyperpigmentation.
In case your face is roofed in pimples and/or darkish spots, do you have to use retinol or Azelaic acid? Or is it secure to make use of them each collectively?
Let’s discover out what the science says:
What Is Retinol?
Retinol is a type of Vitamin A that converts into Retinoid acid (Tretinoin) into the pores and skin. It’s the one remedy that’s been confirmed to work to scale back wrinkles. Right here’s what it does:
- It accelerates mobile turnover: It hurries up your pores and skin’s pure exfoliating course of by prompting pores and skin cells to show over and die rapidly, in order that new, wholesome ones can take their place.
- It increase collagen: Collagen is the protein that makes pores and skin thicker and firmer. Retinol prevents its breakdown and loss.
- It has antioxidant properties: It combat free radicals, the rascals that trigger untimely wrinkles and darkish spots.
- Treats zits: By rushing up mobile turnover, it helps do away with whiteheads and clogged pores.
Or, stated extra merely, retinol:
Don’t know which skincare merchandise you may combine and match collectively and which of them deactivate one another? Obtain your FREE “How To Layer Actives Like A Professional” cheat sheet to get essentially the most out of your skincare merchandise:
What Is Azelaic Acid?
Do you know Azelaic acid is made by the wholesome micro organism that stay in your pores and skin? How cool is that?
This multitasker helps deal with zits, hyperpigmentation, and even rosacea. Listed here are just some of its advantages:
Associated: The Full Information To Azelaic Acid In Skincare
Retinol VS Azelaic Acid: What’s The Distinction?
Each retinol and azelaic acid can deal with zits and darkish spots, however there are two key variations between the 2:
- MO: Azelaic acid exfoliates pores and skin and pores, eliminating lifeless pores and skin cells. It simply… doesn’t do it very nicely. It’s weaker than different acids, like Glycolic and Salicylic. Retinol hurries up mobile turnover, i.e. the pores and skin’s pure exfoliating course of. It doesn’t take away lifeless cells, however encourages pores and skin to shed them sooner.
- Irritation: Retinol could be very irritating. If you first begin utilizing it, it could possibly trigger dryness, irritation, redness, and peeling. Azelaic acid, alternatively, is gentler and, often, nicely tolerated even by folks with delicate pores and skin.
Who Ought to Use Retinol?
Retinol is the perfect wrinkle fighter out there OTC. If you wish to deal with wrinkles in addition to zits and/or hyperpigmentation AND your pores and skin isn’t delicate, retinol is the way in which to go.
Who Ought to Use Azelaic Acid?
In the event you’re coping with zits or darkish spots AND you’ve gotten delicate pores and skin that may’t tolerate retinol, then Azelaic acid is the best choice for you. It does the job with out irritating your pores and skin.
Can You Use Retinol And Azelaic Acid Collectively?
Nonetheless undecided? In case your pores and skin isn’t delicate and may take the additional load, you should utilize retinol and Azelaic acid collectively.
This works particularly nicely for hyperpigmentation, like darkish spots, melasma, and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (the darkish spots left behind by pimples).
Azelaic acid inhibits the exercise of the tyrosinase enzyme, which is crucial for the manufacturing of melanin (the pigment that provides pores and skin its pure color). Cease it from overacting and also you cease the overproduction of extreme pigment.
Retinol, on this different hand, fades away darkish spots by rushing up mobile turnover, i.e. the pores and skin’s pure exfoliating course of. In different phrases, it helps pores and skin renew itself sooner in order that the older, darker cells on its floor give approach to the newer and brighter cells beneath.
Use retinol and Azelaic acid collectively and also you deal with darkish spots on two fronts. Research present retinol and azelaic acid are each efficient when used alone, however work even higher when paired collectively!
There’s additionally some analysis that exhibits that azelaic acid boosts the anti-acne results of retinol. In case you have extreme zits, pairing these two actives collectively may also help you heal sooner.
Associated: All The Phases Of Pimples: Causes And Therapies
How To Use Retinol And Azelaic Acid Collectively
One of the simplest ways to make use of retinol and Azelaic acid collectively is to get a product that has each, like VI Derm Retinol Age-Defying Moisturizer ($104.00).
If that’s out of your finances, the following most suitable choice is to layer two merchandise, one with retinol, and one with Azelaic acid. For greatest outcomes, apply the one with the thinnest consistency first. If each have the identical consistency, then the order doesn’t matter.
Nonetheless, while you’re beginning out, I like to recommend you introduce them one after the other. Use retinol for one month after which introduce azelaic acid (or vice versa). In case of an opposed response, this’ll allow you to decide who the offender is. Plus, it offers your pores and skin time to get used to those components.
If utilizing them collectively is an excessive amount of for you, you may all the time alternate them at night time. By no means use retinol within the morning. It makes your pores and skin extra liable to solar injury!
The Backside Line
You’ll be able to completely use retinol and Azelaic acid collectively to deal with zits and hyperpigmentation – IF your pores and skin isn’t delicate and may take the additional load. If it will get irritated simply, then go for Azelaic acid. It’s the gentlest of the 2.