Private care model The Physique Store launched a research on plastic waste earlier this 12 months, trying into client habits in throwing away beauty plastics in the USA. The research lined what will get thrown away, how a lot and what the habits round beauty plastics are.
Microplastic air pollution has been discovered throughout ecosystems, together with waterways, in fish and on a number of the excessive peaks on this planet.
Because the 12 months rounds the nook to Plastic Free July, listed below are three of the important thing takeaways from The Physique Store’s “Physique Plastic Pile Up” research.
The highest ten cosmetics plastic waste objects
The research ranked the cosmetics business’s prime ten plastic waste objects by amount each month, declaring that many on a regular basis private care objects normally embrace plastic packaging elements.
The highest ten mostly thrown away cosmetics plastics have been:
- Razors, 385 million models
- Shampoo, 369 million models
- Deodorant, 367 million models
- Toothbrushes, 350 million models
- Bathe gel, 287 million models
- Face wash, 262 million models
- Conditioner, 248 million models
- Physique moisturizer, 245 million models
- Physique lotion, 244 million models
- Hair brushes, 217 million models
To place these numbers in perspective, The Physique Store stated there are thrice as many razors thrown away month-to-month as there are homes in the USA.
Recycling is just not made equal throughout US cities
Among the many prime 21 cities within the US for plastic recycling, the research discovered a 38-point hole, with New York Metropolis main with 65.5% of survey respondents saying they recurrently recycle and Indianapolis main the rear with 27.5%.
In accordance with rePurpose World, an impartial group that does plastic neutrality for client product manufacturers, round 75% of plastic recycled within the US, Canada, the UK and Eire leads to landfills in international locations like India, Indonesia and Vietnam.
Shoppers say they’re inquisitive about packaging sustainability
“Physique Plastic Pile Up” additionally surveyed US shoppers on their private care buying habits as they relate to plastic packaging.
The research discovered that:
- 54% of shoppers stated they’re extra prone to buy from manufacturers utilizing sustainable packaging and lowering plastic waste
- Half of shoppers are attempting to scale back their beauty plastic consumption
- 43% of shoppers solely purchase merchandise from manufacturers which have little to no plastic
These outcomes have been from a survey of two,004 shoppers.